Friday, January 6, 2012

MerryChristmasHappyNewYearWhatTheHellHappenedTo2011?

WHERE to begin!?  How about here....


Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!
 The above picture is the cover of the calendar I created for my mother and mother in law for Christmas...you might be a redneck...

So, like November, December was a blur!  BUT, I'm not focusing on the past...let's move on!  The first FNP of 2012 is coming to you on time, and even a little early, becuse I'm cheating just a bit!  Due to a recurring head and chest cold, I CTS (can't taste sh*t!), and I'm not drinking a good beer if I can't taste it!  So instead of a beer I am trying today, I bring to you a FABULOUS beer that I have had the pleasure of drinking several times over the past month (ok, so technically this is a 2011 beer, but it's my blog so I get to make the rules).

Seriously, I would buy this beer just for the label!  And this is pretty much the best picture on my blog so far...don't ya think?
This Gingerbread Stout is the most recent Brewer's Reserve offering from Hardywood Park Craft Brewery here in Richmond, VA (more on that in a minute...www.hardywood.com).  It is a 9.2% ABV milk stout brewed with ginger and honey, sourced locally, and most certainly one of my favorite beers of 2011.  It is a full bodied, sweet beer that would be great as a dessert beer on its own, or paired with apple pie or cheesecake!  I first tried it on draft at Hardywood and have had it several times since from the 22 oz. bomber you see above.  Nothing beats beer straight from the draft, and this was no exception.  Although fantastic from a bottle as well, that first taste on draft was phenomenal!  It's been in high demand and short supply around town, so I am happy that I have had so many opportunities to enjoy it!  I hope it's back next year!  Looking forward to the Coffehouse Stout that's next on the schedule! 

Back to the brewery itself...Hardywood Park officially opened in October 2011.  I attended the "launch party" and was impressed with the quality of the beer and the facility, but I was also amazed at the number of people in attendance!  This small brewery has quickly garnered a cult following, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out why.  They are producing great beer, are very community focused, and seem to have a genuine passion for what they are doing.  Since the launch I have had the pleasure of "working" at the brewery on several occasions and continue to be impressed with the level of professionalism and commitment to quality.  One probably doesn't often think of breweries as classy places, but this place is an exception.  It has a level of class and even elegance that is unexpected, as you will see from the pictures below.


These are pictures from the Hardywood Illumination event, a collaborative celebration of dark beer between Hardywood, Starr Hill, Legend, and Devil's Backbone Brewing...tasteful and elegant...well managed...and well attended!!  In a brewery!  Go figure!


Ok, as if that wasn't enough to make December rock, check out some of the beer related items I got for Christmas...

Some great New England brews I tried while visiting the great city of Keene, NH!  Thanks Tuff and Kelly, and Zach at BrewTopia for the tastes of home!


This is no ordinary pint glass....
 
A clever find from my SIL who at least knows how I sign my blog...even if she's never read it...





Ok, so how AWESOME is this sign?!  It was a gift from my mother and father in law who apparently have way more faith in my ability to continue with this blog than I do!  With a kick ass sign like this, what choice do I have but to continue to punish my readers with my juvenile sense of humor and borderline obsessive beer behavior?!  Lucky you!!  Now, where to hang it...

Ok, and just little plug for BrewTopia in Keene, NH (www.brewtopianh.com).  I had read about this place in one of the kazillion beer mags that I get, but hadn't found my way there during the last few visits to New England.  Finally got there this time around and was pleasantly surprised to find Zach, one of the owners, to be genuinely interested in helping us find what we wanted (not that we really knew what that was, but hey, he was ready to help!). Zach was very knowledgeable about the great selection of beer, and I was happy to see a strong showing of local brews!  A little tweaking here and there and this place will be a fantastic beer stop!

I guess that wraps up the first post of 2012!  Looking forward to getting back to a weekly post for you all to, ah, enjoy.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy new year full of great beer!
Cheers!
Becky




No comments:

Post a Comment