Friday, January 20, 2012

Friday Noon Pints

I know what you are thinking, but no, hell hasn't frozen over.  Although I could swear I saw flying pigs somewhere last week...

Anyhow, here we are again at FRIDAY!  And here I am posting the Friday Night Pint, on time, and maybe a little early! 

So, there I am in the Whole Foods beer aisle, at 8:30 am, as usual, staring at the selection and silently daring myself to get something a little different.  To make a long story short (I tend to ramble in case you haven't noticed...), I spent a few minutes chatting with the "beer guy" who approached me, and I ended up trying 3 different beers from their draft selections (Avery Mephistopheles' Stout, Scotch De Silly, and Hebrew Hop Manna IPA), and leaving with the following: 32 oz. growler of Hebrew Hop Manna IPA, 2 bottles of Avery Mephistopheles' Stout, a six pack of Wolavers Organic IPA and Centennial IPA, a four pack of Terrapin's Moo-Hoo Milk Chocolate Stout, and a bomber of Firestone Walker Union Jack.  In my defense (because I can just see the incredulous looks on your faces), it IS a pretty big football weekend (imagine what my beer purchases will be like if, I mean WHEN, the Pats make it to the Superbowl?!).  AND, my addiction is to "buying and trying".  I'm not drunk 24/7 as most of you probably assume.  This probably won't fly when the divorce papers arrive, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it... 

Anyhow, I decided to feature Terrapin's Moo-Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout for several reasons.  The name is just funny, the label amuses me, AND, most importantly, I felt better about drinking it before, uhh, five o'clock, because it's described on the label as a "chocolate milk stout", and therefore clearly is meant to be a breakfast drink.  Umm, right?


Moo-Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout
6% ABV
Terrapin Beer Co.
Athens, GA
This beer pours dark brown with a two finger head (if you pour the damn thing right).  The head stays and leaves a pretty good lace throughout.  It's fairly light in body, bordering on thin which would be a turn off for me if it weren't for the great flavor.  Light chocolate flavor and bready malts actually make me think this might be good for breakfast...once in awhile (hey, you probably don't think mimosas or bloody mary's for breakfast are weird, DO you?).  Very little, if any hop aroma, but a good balance of subtle, spice hop in the flavor.  There was a weird metallic taste at the beginning, but I didn't notice it after the first sip or two, so I attribute it to one of two things: flavor came from the cap, or it's because this is (according to the label) the 2010 version of this "seasonal" beer.  Noticed this about halfway through...
I should really pay more attention...

So, either I got suckered into buying old "seasonal" beer, OR, I totally got a bargain on an "aged" beer!  I'm going with the latter (even though at 6% ABV this isn't a great beer for aging...)!  Who likes to think they got suckered?

A good beer if you're in the mood for something to have with dessert (or breakfast if you can handle the flak you'll take for it...).  I can't help but wonder what a "fresh" bottle would taste like?

Now, don't fall off your chairs because you are reading this long before "happy hour" starts (and don't call the police, DYS, or my husband).  In order to bring you timely, more thoughtful reviews of a new beer each week, I have decided that I'll get to it a bit earlier (how early will be on a need to know basis..), because quite honestly, by Friday evening, I just want to DRINK a beer, and not analyze it. This also might give those of you who actually read this an opportunity to pick up a bottle of the featured beer, if it sounds like something you might enjoy.

So, I hope you will take advantage of my attempt to broaden you beer horizons and try Moo-Hoo, or any of the other featured craft beer offerings!

Until next week...
Cheers!
Becky

P.S. GOOOO Pats!

No comments:

Post a Comment