Friday, January 27, 2012

The Chocolate Trend Continues...

The Vixen (Chocolate Chili Bock)
8.5% ABV
Sam Adams (Boston Beer Co.)
Boston, MA
This one's for you Matt...(http://www.staythirstyblog.com/)

This week's FNP is in honor of my blogger friend Matt, who in a comment awhile ago (thanks for reading Matt!) mentioned he couldn't find this beer (he is also the person who inspired this blog, so you have him to thank, or hate, for my presence in your lives each week...).  So despite the fact that I did a chocolate beer last week, I decided I would take advantage of the availability of this beer while I can.  I'll admit the choice scared me a little bit, because although I am a HUGE fan of chili, I wasn't sure how I would feel about those flavors in my beer.  I would call this beer a "pleasant surprise", as I fully anticipated not liking it (what kind of a freak buys a beer they think they're not going to like?).

Right away the sulfur smell of a lager hits the nose (I find this in most of the Sam Adams lager beers), but quickly gives way to the pleasant, chocolate aromas.  The cinnamon flavor is there, but not overwhelming.  Little to no hop aroma, but you get the bitterness of the noble hops in the finish, which I think is perfect for this beer.  I didn't get much chili flavor or spiciness, but the beer leaves your gums tingling a bit (not NUMB Dottie), which I am guessing is the combination of chilies and carbonation (there was a bit more carbonation than I expected, but I think it works).

I think The Vixen is a great beer to pair with chili or dry rubbed ribs, or as a night cap (NOT a breakfast drink in my opinion, but if you are so inclined to try, I won't discourage you).  Probably one of the more interesting beers I have tried in awhile, and I would certainly encourage the purchase, especially for the price ($5.99 for the 22 oz. bottle).

Some quick thoughts on last weeks' purchases...Wolavers Organic IPA-good, not great.  Definitely worth the $6.99 I paid for the six-pack (on sale at WF).  Support New England Brewers!  The Hop Manna was ok, but I think could have been a little more balanced (too much citrusy hop flavor going on).  Founders Centennial IPA is a regular in this house, and is probably one of the more balanced IPAs out there, in my humble opinion.  Firestone Walker's Union Jack (LOVE this beer) was the weekend's "kick off" beer (if you don't understand what this means, I'm not explaining it to you...).  Haven't broken into the Mephistopheles' Stout yet...one will be opened shortly, the other will be in the beer fridge until at least next winter (along with a few others)...my husband just shakes his head when I do these things.

A quick shout out to my brewer friend Dave, who has been so supportive, patient, and understanding of my inexplicable desire to learn all there is to know about beer, the brewing process, and the industry, and who I think shares my passion for what it takes to be a part of it all.  THANKS DAVE!

To all (3? 4?) of you who read my blog, thank you!  If even one of you takes something of value (even if it's amusement!) away from this, it will have been more than worth my time!

Cheers!
Becky 

No comments:

Post a Comment