Saturday, September 3, 2011

Big Girl Pants Don't Fit (FNP #5/52) & T.W.I.B* Notes

This week's FNP was Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde, a highly respected Belgian triple.  Now, Belgians seem to be the beer you drink when you finally graduate into "big kid" beers, but I just don't like them.  I keep trying, because I want my big girl pants to fit, but so far, no luck.  Now that's not to say I don't APPRECIATE the Belgians.  I do.  I appreciate the creativity and skill that goes into making them, but I just don't like drinking them.  Does it make me any less of a "quality beer" drinker?  Some "beer snobs" might think so.  But I don't hang out with any, so who cares what they think anyhow.  Regardless, here is the skinny on my attempt at fitting into my big girl beer pants. 

Unibrou
La Fin du Monde
Belgian Triple
9% ABV

La Fin du Monde (really, pretty appropriate after a week of earthquakes and hurricanes, don't ya think?) pours a hazy, golden color with a great head of foam.  It definitely has a spicy aroma at first whiff, and the flavor follows suit.  It is described as having "a complex palate of malt, fruit, and spice notes", but I don't easily get anything except the spice.  And there is where the problem lies...it's the spice I don't like.  I'm fairly certain the yeast is to blame, but hey, we won't hold it against them.  They're just doing their job.  It's the same reason I'm not a lover of witbiers.  The spiciness is a real turn off for me.  But, I'll keep drinking beer and experimenting with new options, so hopefully I'll fit into those pants yet!







T.W.I.B* (This Week In Beer) Notes  Ok, so just because I wasn't happy with my FNP doesn't mean the whole week was a wash! Here is a brief recap of the week's beer events (as in what I drank this week) other than my FNP.  Just a few quick thoughts, nothing elaborate.  So here it is, in no particular order, the different brews I drank at various times (as in not ALL at one time) throughout the week.

Sierra Nevada's Torpedo IPA:  You just can't go wrong with Sierra Nevada.  A nice, clean IPA.  Doesn't knock your socks off, but you don't regret buying it.

Legend Brown Ale:  Legend is a local brewery here in Richmond, and their brown ale is by far, my favorite of their offerings.  It is a really flavorful, well balanced brown.  A great fall beer if you don't like pumpkin in your beer.

Avery IPA:  I got this at Whole Foods in one of my 3 flip top liter growlers.  I know what you're thinking, but keep it to yourself smartass.  This was JUST what I needed that day.  This IPA is one of my favorites, especially on draft.  Sooo good.  Just the right balance of malt and hops.  Try it if you haven't.

Michigan Brewing Wheatland Wheat:  Ok, in this beer's defense, I only had a couple of sips out of my husband's beer, but I was not impressed.  It is also part of a "Beer of the Month Club" gift that he received for his, uhh, 2nd 39th birthday in January.  So granted, it probably spent some time in a super hot UPS truck, which never is a benefit to beer.  Picture dirty dishwater in a glass, and there you have it.  Add some super fake lemon flavor to your dishwater, put it in a bottle, and voila!  You have a beer I probably (never is just so strong) won't have again.  But hey, you can make your own decisions.

Michigan Brewing Nut Brown Ale:  Ok, I know what you are thinking...why try another beer from the same brewer?  Well, for one, it was already in the glass, and two, you can't judge a brewing company on one beer!  So, this one was actually pretty good.  Pretty good flavor, but maybe not as complex as I would have liked.  Maybe a shorter stint in a UPS truck would have helped.  I'll choose Dogfish Brown or Legend over this for sure.


Now THIS is one of the more daring adventures in beer I have had in a while.  I had no idea what to expect, but it was highly recommended by an individual who had taken one of the brewery tours I was giving (he actually had a picture of it on his phone, which immediately earned him my respect, since I too have pictures of beer on my phone.  All the cool people do.). Surprisingly, I really liked it!  It is a rauchbier, made with smoked malts (I tried it on a night when my pinter in crime wasn't home-he hates smoked anything).  Opening it was like driving by a smoker in someone's yard with your windows down.  Seriously, it smelled like bacon and good bbq rolled into one.  Now, I'm probably not rushing home and looking for one of these in my fridge, but if you're looking for something way outside your beer comfort zone, try it!
So, that's it.  A disappointing FNP, but you can't win 'em all!  I'll sure as hell keep trying! 
Cheers!
Becky

1 comment:

  1. Because I have been trying your suggestions, I have to wear my "BIG" girl pants. Thanks a lot.
    (Ok, I know, take my "BIG" girl butt to the gym).

    ReplyDelete