Sunday, December 8, 2013

Redneck Elf on the Shelf (and other Knock Off stories)

I've been sitting here for like, an hour, trying to find something deep and reflective to write (something that would distract you all from realizing my last blog was in, ahem, March...).  Strangely, nothing was coming to me, so now I say f*ck it, this is a beer blog!!  If you want some inspiration, you've come to the wrong place (unless the inspiration you seek is in liquid form...).

So, I went to the fridge and lo and behold, look what I found!!



Redneck Elf on the Shelf seems ready to try the Hardywood knock off known as "Merry Maker" by the copy cat brewing company named Sam Adams (clearly I'm never getting a job there...).  The story behind "Merry Maker" is this...The beer on the left has become sort of a local legend.  Brewed by the darlings of Richmond brewing, Hardywood Park Craft Brewery, it got a 100 rating by the bros at Beer Advocate, and has since become a highly sought after beer. In my opinion, it is a delicious beer, and I do enjoy drinking it each season.  As far as ratings go, I think they are bullshit*.  Either you like a beer, or you don't.  I like this beer.  Anyhow, supposedly one of the founding members of Hardywood gave a bottle of Gingerbread Stout (simply known as "GBS" in these here parts) to Sam Adams founder, Jim Koch.  Then came "Merry Maker".  You make the call.  This is all second hand information, so you are free to make your own assumptions based on the fact that, well, I have no facts to back it up.  After that, I swore I would never buy Merry Maker, but as you can see, I caved.  I bought one bottle, because I wanted to see if they, with all their fancy beer analyzing equipment and supposed expertise, could do it as well as Hardywood.  It will be the only bottle I ever buy, because I can hold a grudge...forever. 

So, what do I think of "Merry Maker"?


Well, as you can see, Redneck Elf on the Shelf took one whiff and passed out.  Clearly, creepy toy dolls are not meant to drink 9% beer.  Me, I'm still standing (well, sitting because it's just weird to stand and type).  Hopefully you picked up on the slight bias I may have toward these beers based on the above information (way to go stealing the ideas of a fledgling brewery, you big bullies...), so read the following with that in mind.  Although I think this is a decent beer, it doesn't compare to GBS.  The local cookie beer has better aroma, better flavor, and well, it's just better.  Merry Maker finishes with too much bitterness.  Have you ever eaten a bitter gingerbread anything?  'Nuf said.  Try it if you want.  But if you want the REAL Gingerbread Stout, visit me in Richmond sometime next December.  Free room and board if you bring me beer.

Maybe Redneck Elf on the Shelf will be back sometime this holiday season...

Until then, cheers! 
Becky

*I mentioned that I think ratings are BS.  I do.  Really, what is the difference between a beer that's rated a 93 versus a beer rated 92?  My friend Dave has the perfect rating system.  It's based on 1, 2, 3 because, well, he's a simple guy.

1-This beer sucks.
2-This a good beer, representative of the particular style.  I might drink it again, but it's not something I will actively seek.
3-I like this beer, and I will drink it again. 

He always tells me the beer I brew is a #3, but me being me, I think they are all #2...




No comments:

Post a Comment