Friday, May 18, 2012

I'm baaaack...

March 23rd?  That was the last post? Really?  No excuses.

Of course, just because we've been apart doesn't mean I stopped drinking beer.  No ice skating in hell over the past 6 weeks...

In FACT, I have, of course, a new beer to tell you about, and then some very random pictures to show you...just read.
Maui Brewing Co.
Bikini Blonde Lager
Helles Lager
5.1% ABV
I really wasn't sure what I was in the mood for, so I roamed the "singles" section at Whole Foods (hmmm...I'm refering to beer, but maybe I'm on to something) and decided on this one.  I briefly considered New Belgium's Shift (lager), but I am really not into them-New Belgium is mostly hype in my opinion.  I only was going to try it because I had a preconceived idea that I wouldn't like it and was looking forward to trashing it (or maybe I was secretly afraid I would have to admit to liking it). 

Anhyhow, I picked this up because the blonde on the can looks a little bit like me.  And what was in the can reminded me of me also.  A pretty good beer, but it might need a little work.  A sweet, malty aroma meets the nose right off-that's me-sweet right up front.  The two finger head disappears pretty quickly leaving me to focus on the hazy, orange/gold color.  Usually things are a little hazy around here, but no gold to be found because I would sell it and move somewhere waaaayyy better.   Medium body and low carbonation.  Yeah, I guess maybe I'm "medium bodied" on a good day, but I'd say I have a little more pop than this beer.  No real hop presence, and no noticeable bitterness, true to the "helles" lager style.  Ok, so maybe this beer and I have some differences...I've got hop (well, some left at my age anyhow) AND pop, but definitely no bitterness.  A severe streak of cynicism and sarcasm, but no bitterness.

Overall, pretty good.  I was really hoping to find a "summer beer", but this wasn't it.  I'm not a fan of wheat (this wasn't a wheat beer) beers which are most of the summer offerings, so I am usually just drinking IPAs.  Which is fine, but I like to mix it up.  So far, most of the Maui offerings have just been "ok".  Nothing special.  But I won't send if back if a cute guy in the "singles" section sends one over.

Ok, now on to the random photos section of this post...sort of a VERY brief representation of my beer life since my last post....

Zoe was AWESOME, Nepenthe was ok, and I left "The Camp" at my parents house and it damn well better be there when I get back in a few weeks!

Deck beer is always awesome.

Thank you Virginia legislature for allowing breweries the same privileges as wineries.  'Bout time!


I didn't want to eat in your stupid restaurant anyhow.
T.J. had one, why can't I?


Clever, but not my fave.

My boss and the Governor McDonnell.  Virginia is for craft beer lovers you know.


This beer got a 100/100 rating on Beer Advocate.  This brewery is 6 months old.  They released this 4 months ago.  My favorite, even before the fancy accolades (it also took 3rd place in the Spice/Herb category at the World Beer Cup).

How to amuse yourself, er, your children, at a restaurant. This one allowed firearms.  And ninjas.
The first attempted brew at the "Little Red Wagon Brewing Company".  Screw you Radio Flyer.  I can call it what I want.  (It rained?  Bad sign?  I think not).

This is where I am going right now.  So. Good.  Get some if you can.


Happy Friday Night Pints!
Becky

1 comment: