Friday, March 16, 2012

Happy St. Practice Day!

Ok, ok.  I know what you're thinking.  I skipped a week.  Yup, I sure did.  It's happened before and I've been forgiven.  In fact, I'm pretty sure no one noticed...
I'm calling last week "Pints with Pals".  Instead of expanding my own beer portfolio, I spent Friday night introducing a few new beers to some good friends of mine who stopped on their way back from a week in Florida in their giant ass RV can you say run on sentence.  So I got to drink beer in the "GARV", which I am pretty sure is nicer than the house I live in.  If I were a better, smarter blogger, I would have pictures to share with you.  But I am not, and I don't, so you're gonna have to take my word for it!  I THINK they enjoyed what I brought them, but they're really too polite to tell me they think my beer choices suck. 

Anyhow, onward!  This week's FNP is #28 of the 52 new beers I have promised you...this is taking FOREVER (skipping weeks doesn't help, I know)!!!!!!!!!!  According to my math, we're not even quite halfway there (someone might wanna check that though...).  It's a good thing I'm persistent and I really care about your well beering, because a lesser person would have quit drinking beer by now. 

This week's FNP is Williamsburg Alewerks Wheat Ale.  It was a left behind by the "GARV" folks, so it was sort of free, which is a total bonus!  They took the rest of them home to share some Virginia craft beer love with the New England peeps.
I would give you more statistical information in the caption, but there isn't any on the bottle or the website.  That really irritates me.  There is no point to the growler other than it happens to be one of the more interesting ones I own.  Oh, and it's from Williamsburg Alewerks.



The pour surprised me because I was expecting a much bigger, fluffier head.  The picture was taken just seconds after the pour, so you can see what I got.  There is a pleasant, lemony aroma at first, but it doesn't last long.  After that, the aroma fades, and you don't get much until the beer warms up and a sweet malty aroma emerges.  It's really hazy (the website does tell us that it's unfiltered, so there you go), and despite the website's claim of a "medium yellow" color, I'm calling it gold.  Who the hell ever heard of "medium yellow"?  Show me THAT color in a box of Crayola!  There are no distinguishing flavors besides a bit of sweet maltiness as the beer warms.  It is super prickly on the tongue and fairly light bodied. 

Overall, not an especially impressive beer.  I wouldn't NOT drink it again, but I think I will look to try some other wheat beers as the weather warms.  I really need another warm weather go to beer besides pale ales and IPAs.  Don't get me wrong, there will always be room in the fridge for those, but a little beer diversity never hurts. 

I would feel badly about such a middle of the road review on a local brew, but 1) I really like their Drake Tail IPA (shocker) and purchase it frequently, and 2) despite have a position posted for the last several months, for which I consider myself qualified, I have received NO response from the two inquiries I have made about it.  ZERO.  Not a "we received your resume blah, blah, blah", or "thanks for your interest, but we've filled the position", or, "sorry, we don't hire chics".  Nothing.  Fine if you don't want to hire me, but at least acknowledge my efforts to contact you.  Poor business practice if you ask me.  I will continue to hold my grudge, because that's just as effective punishment as not buying their beer, right?

Enjoy your Friday Night Pints!!
Cheers!
Becky

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I am starting over. I also noticed the head of this beer was AWOL. The Wheat Ale tasted better with the wings, than with the pizza. But everything tastes better after you burn a few taste buds.

    The beer was "wicked" good last weekend. The Lagunita Imperial Red is now one of my top 2 favorite beers. (Union Jack is still tops)!

    We enjoyed our stopover. Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete