Monday, October 17, 2011

Booooring!

So last week's FNP was really a Saturday Night Pint, but really, who's paying that much attention anyhow!  Why not Friday you ask?  Well, because apparently they don't serve alcohol at elementary school functions.  They should, but they don't.  I spent my Friday evening at my son's Fall Festival, and as the volunteer coordinator for that function, I can assure you that alcohol would push parent volunteer rates through the roof!  Volunteer for one hour, get a free beer.  Otherwise, you pay.  I'm pretty sure parents would be fighting over the opportunity to prove their dedication to the school community!

But I digress.  The beer of choice for the week was the Cascade Ale from Six Point Brewing out of Brooklyn, NY.  Now, before any of you accuse my opinion of being tainted due to an intense dislike of a certain baseball team from that area, I really didn't know where Six Point was prior to my choice for the week.  AND, what I really wanted was a draught offering from Bear Republic, but they were out.  So, I went with this one instead.  Unfortunately.
I inserted the illegally borrowed logo above because I forgot to take a picture of my beer.  It really wouldn't have been a very exciting picture anyhow because it was in a Whole Foods liter growler.  What fun is that?  It isn't.  And neither was drinking this beer to be quite honest.  This was a very thin bodied IPA with pretty limited hop flavor and aroma.  I'm pretty sure it was a single hop brew, but I can't be certain since they don't list it on their website.  Maybe it was a disappointing experiment that they decided to go with anyhow.  Not sure.  What I am sure of is that I won't rush to get this one again.  If you like IPAs, this one was a pretty weak offering. 

I'm on a run of beers that I haven't been too excited about, so I am hoping to turn that around this Friday.  Any suggestions?  I have a 4 pack of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, but I'm not sure I can wait until Friday to try that.  There is a 22 oz. Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing too, but after the Mad Hatter disappointment, I am less excited about that one.  I guess I'll see what the weather is doing and decide.  Mother Nature apparently doesn't know it's supposed to be fall in Richmond, so if it's 80 degrees again, that may sway my decision.  Until then...

Cheers!
Becky

2 comments:

  1. Becky,

    I also wasn't impressed the Cascade Ale...but don't give up on Sixpoint! I recommend trying their Bengali Tiger (much more hop-heavy despite around a 65-70 IBU rating), or the Autumnation. I just posted a review of Autumnation on Stay Thirsty and it was way outside the box in terms of pumpkin beers. Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Matt! I certainly would have delayed trying another one from Sixpoint without your endorsement! Maybe I'll feature one of the two you suggested this week! Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete